Nightmare is a horror and dark fantasy magazine. In Nightmare’s pages, you will find all kinds of horror fiction, from zombie stories and haunted house tales, to visceral psychological horror.
Edited by writer and editor Wendy N. Wagner, every month Nightmare brings you a mix of originals and reprints, and featuring a variety of authors—from the bestsellers and award-winners you already know to the best new voices you haven’t heard of yet. When you read Nightmare, it is our hope that you’ll see where horror comes from, where it is now, and where it’s going.
Nightmare also includes fiction podcasts, nonfiction articles, book and media reviews, feature interviews, and Q&As with our authors that go behind-the-scenes of their stories. Our current publication schedule each month includes two pieces of original short fiction and two shorter works (including poetry, flash fiction, and creative nonfiction), along with a feature interview or review and our monthly column about horror, “The H Word.” Each issue’s contents are serialized on our website throughout the month, with new features publishing on the first four Wednesdays of every month.
You can read Nightmare for free online, or you can read and subscribe to our ebook editions. Our ebook issues publish on the first of every month and are available for sale via our ebookstore (in Mobi, ePub, and PDF format) and are also available in other formats such as Kindle and Nook. You can also subscribe to our ebook edition in a variety of formats; visit our Subscribe page for more details.
- Nebula Award winner: “Hungry Daughters of Starving Mothers” by Alyssa Wong
- Nebula Award finalist: “Ten Excerpts from an Annotated Bibliography on the Cannibal Women of Ratnabar Island” by Nibedita Sen
- World Fantasy Award winner: “Hungry Daughters of Starving Mothers” by Alyssa Wong
- World Fantasy Award finalist: “Little Widow” by Maria Dahvana Headley
- Stoker Award winner: “The Eight People Who Murdered Me (Excerpt from Lucy Westenra’s Diary)” by Gwendolyn Kiste
- Stoker Award finalists: “Introduction to the Horror Story, Day 1” by Kurt Fawver; “Hungry Daughters of Starving Mothers” by Alyssa Wong
- Shirley Jackson Award winner: “57 Reasons for the Slate Quarry Suicides” by Sam J. Miller.
- Shirley Jackson Award finalist: “Angel, Monster, Man” by Sam J. Miller.
- Parsec Award finalist: “Singing With All My Skin and Bone” by Sunny Moraine.